Dogs love to chew and lick, it’s a natural and healthy behavior that helps them relieve stress, stay entertained and clean their teeth. That’s where lick mats come in. These versatile and durable mats can be filled with various treats and offer dogs a delicious and satisfying experience that keeps them occupied for hours.
What are Lick Mats?
Lick mats are flat, flexible and non-slip silicone mats that can be placed in a variety of settings, such as a kennel, crate, or even on the floor. They’re designed with a series of raised ridges and valleys that are perfect for spreading out treats or peanut butter. As your dog licks the mat, they will be rewarded with tasty morsels, which will keep them engaged and entertained.
Why Use Lick Mats?
There are many reasons to use lick mats in your dog’s daily routine:
- Occupies Dogs: Lick mats are a great way to keep your dog occupied and distracted. They’re especially useful for times when you’re away from home or for dogs who suffer from separation anxiety.
- Promotes Calm Behavior: The act of licking can be incredibly relaxing and calming for dogs. By providing a licking outlet, lick mats can help dogs stay calm and relaxed even during stressful situations.
- Teeth Cleaning: The raised ridges on lick mats help to remove plaque and tartar from your dog’s teeth, promoting good dental health.
- Treat Dispenser: Lick mats can be used to dispense any number of treats, from peanut butter to freeze-dried liver, giving your dog a variety of tasty experiences.
How to Choose the Right Lick Mat
When choosing a lick mat, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Material: Make sure the mat is made from a durable and safe material, such as silicone, that’s easy to clean.
- Size: Consider the size of your dog and the amount of treats you’d like to dispense when choosing the right mat.
- Non-Slip: Choose a mat with a non-slip bottom to keep it in place while your dog is licking.
In conclusion, lick mats are a wonderful addition to your dog’s daily routine, offering entertainment, dental health benefits, and an outlet for their natural licking behavior. So why not give one a try and see for yourself? Your dog will thank you!
The Rain City Dog’s Crew